A unique aspect of Patoka School are the intermediate years (Years 7-8). We offer a fantastic alternative to large intermediates. Small class sizes and a dedication to two more years of learning set our students up for a seamless and well prepared transition to High School.
Developing our emerging adolescents as leaders is a key area. They receive many opportunities to develop these skills. We are committed to providing wide and varied opportunities, real leadership development and practice. We offer a range of opportunities for all students whilst not compromising teaching and learning as our main goal.
We provide a balanced curriculum ensuring:
- Commitment to literacy and numeracy
- Exceptional teaching and learning
- Personalised learning
- Challenge and Extension
- A safe environment where risk taking is encouraged
- A high level of student accountability and responsibility
- Students are prepared for high school transition
- Diverse learning experiences matched with small class sizes
- Utilising outside expertise to foster achievement
- Opportunities to foster and develop leadership
- Career Education
- Learning a second language
Our intermediate students have access to 1 to 1 devices. We use a combination of iPads, Laptops and Chromebooks to enhance the curriculum. We use a blended programme which means we use school books and digital means together in preparation for high school.
As part of the Year 7-8 Curriculum, our students bus to Tamatea Intermediate every Monday to experience Technology with another school. They learn skills in; art, sewing, hard materials (wood work), cooking and electronics.